* "Only connect. . ." E.M. Forster, Howard's End

Monday, April 25, 2011

Blogging: Who's your audience?

Christopher S Penn wrote a great post about marketing and how it starts with audience. What’s great about it is that it’s exactly what was on my mind since yesterday. I’ve been thinking about who my audience is at [chrisbrogan.com] and furthermore, I’ve been looking around at other people’s blogs and wondering who they’re hoping to attract with their writing. Do you know the answer about your blog? My guess is it might be different than you think.

WHO ARE YOU WRITING FOR?

This part, you should at least think you know. When I write, I’m writing for professionals who want to understand how social tools change business. Sometimes, I’m writing for larger companies to read and consider. Most times, I’m writing for smaller companies and solo business types. Heck, plenty of non-business types read and take things away from here. It’s fine by me. That’s who I’m writing for, in my mind. How about you?

BUT WHO IS READING?

When I look at the comments, the people who are reading are a mix of people. Most of the comments come from people I believe who represent small or solo businesses. Lots of you are from smaller agencies. So many of you are lurkers that I have no idea who you are, where you’re from, or what matters or doesn’t to you.

WHY IT MATTERS

Are you writing for your colleagues or your buyers? I’m going to tell you right now that I suspect I’m writing more for my colleagues than my buyers. This is generally okay. I like having conversations with my colleagues. However, I’m in business, and part of my efforts revolve around creating useful information that will encourage buyers to consider me in their solution set, depending on the product. With that in mind, you should be thinking about this for your own site. Are you writing for your colleagues or your buyers, and what effects does this have for how you write?

No comments:

Post a Comment